Friday, August 15, 2008

Flash back Friday: My Lasso

Last February I had surgery on my sinuses and deviated septum. It was my first real reality check about living away from home. Brett had a test the morning of my surgery, so he dropped me off at the hospital at like six in the morning. I checked my self in, and they took me to their pre-surgery department, where I waited for almost 3 hours until they were ready to take me In. Different nurses kept asking me if I wanted them to take my jewelry to who ever was waiting for me, or that they could go get whoever was waiting for me to keep me company etc. and every time I had to tell them that I came alone, I started to cry... I was just a Little, home sick, nervous and scared!!! Apparently I was a little loopy coming out after surgery. After I woke up, I had no idea where I was, and I had the nurses running around the waiting room, looking for my mom, who I was sure was there waiting for me, until finally one of the nurses looked at my paper work, and told me that no one came to the hospital with me. Then the poor nurse had to explain to me that I was in fact in Ohio, not in Utah. Luckily my friend Jami showed up shortly after, and helped clear things up and calm me down. She was nice enough to come to the hospital after she got off of work to wait with me until Brett got out of school. She was lucky enough to see me at my worst. And she still likes me, what a good friend!! Most of you know me a s a BLUNT and often tactless person. these special traits are exaggerated with a little general anesthetic in my system. Jami has plenty of funny stories to tell about stupid/rude/nonsensical things i had to say that afternoon. My recovery was a little rough, this picture says it all. The pain pills they gave me also made me a little loopy/out of it, as you can tell by the glazed over eyes. I had to wear this bandage under my nose to catch the "drainage." I called it my Lasso, apparently on pain pills that made perfect sense to me...... My Judgement was clearly compromised seeming I let someone take these pictures of me.....

Thanks to everyone that helped take care of me, especially Brett. He did such a great job taking care of me!! It was nice to find out first hand that when I really need my hubby he is willing to step up to the plate and get the job done!! Boy am I glad that is over with!!!


11 comments:

Danny said...

Megan!! I can't believe you did that all by yourself! I mean, not that you had much of a choice, but I have to admit I got a little teary-eyed reading the account of your experience.

I'd like to say that it gets easier - but I still want my mom every time I get sick...

Danny said...

the above comment was Katie, not Danny :)

Amelia said...

dude, thats pretty sweet looking! Im sure that was pretty much the worst thing ever. I have been saying that i need to have mine done for years now, but lets face it.. im to chicken! weird how you never had surgery until you moved away from home and now you just have one lined up after another!

Kimi said...

How sad to do that all alone, but it sounds like you made it through.

Whitney said...

I almost started crying when I read that and I don't know if it's because I feel so bad you were all alone and sad or if I was laughing at your pictures and your "lasso". I love you and I miss you...especially when I hear stories like these.

Jenn Rushton said...

Whatever!!! You just wanted a nose job:) Just kidding. I'm glad you made it through! I hate feeling loopy from the meds. It makes me sick!!!

Bee Happy Stamper said...

Deviated septum? AKA nose job! Come on you left that wide open for me I had to take the shot! Sometimes being an adult sucks huh? Love the loopy pics!
Thanks for sharing a memory on my blog! I love the parade days too! So many memories to choose between you and me. They are all great!
Hope you are feeling great!

ALL THE ROYCE'S said...

You gotta love the Drugs! At least they keep you comfortable and hey, they give us some great laughs!! You look adorable in your "lasso!"

Nicole said...

We are so lucky to have hubbys to take care of us. troy was a erfect nurse- he had to clean and bandage my c-section wound that didn't heal quite right. It wasn't a pretty sight, either.

Way to go on doing it alone. I get homesick for my mom, too. She's in AZ.

Brett said...

I don't know which more functional, the "lasso" or the "slink." You do realize I could embarrass you pretty good with all those pain pills. You were saying some pretty silly stuff.

cheeks said...

you can call me anytime you come off of anesthesia!! HA ha! You thought you were so sneaky keeping your cell phone in your hospital gown pocket...and trying to wear your contacts into surgery! It was just one of the many sides of Meg that i love!!